Monday, August 14, 2006

plan A never works

I had another moment, for lack of a better word, on the bus coming home on Friday. I was sitting reading my book as I heard this shrill cellphone tinkering out a classical work by Mozart. A cell phone ringing, fine. But it just kept going, hammering out the sonata, or whatever it was, in a high-pitched bell succession. I tried to ignore it, but at a certain point looked up to see who the hell wasn't answering their cell phone. Are you that deaf that it has to ring for 30 seconds? And when I looked up I saw this older woman looking down at her ringing pink metallic cell phone. Perhaps sensing it had gone on too long she silenced the ring and gave her cell phone a discreet and meek smile before putting it back in her purse and staring out the window. I was touched.

Anyways, this weekend I vowed not to use the Internet. Since I have Internet access from 9am to 4pm 5 days a week constantly at work, I decided enough is enough. I am going to spend the weekend with people, books, movies, nightclubs. No Internet. Not that the Internet is the devil or anything, it's just I had had enough and felt I was developping a bit of an addiction. The thing is the Internet gives you the impression of being in touch with people, which of course it does, but at the same time, you are at a computer. You need real people in your life. After two days, I survived. It wasn't really that hard. I had Sarah Dunant's book The Birth of Venus to finish and some photos to edit as well as writing to compile. The urge was great to go and waste time on Facebook and MySpace, but I found other ways. It's funny how much we rely on technology just to pass time. Instead, I cooked with my dad, I rented a movie, I chatted with my mom. Much more exciting in my book.

I came to work today thinking that I would have time to write long emails to friends who had written over the weekend, but instead found that people actually had tasks for me to complete! Wonder of wonders, I was manning the photocopier (good ol' buddy o' mine) and researching hotels before the morning was through. Lesson: never vouch on plans working out, it usually doesn't happen. Welcome to life. Well, back to work, never know what else might hit!

No comments: