Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Dignity of Being Loyal to the Power of Art

At the conclusion of the movie The Soloist, Steve Lopez shares a final reflection in an interior monologue. He ponders the impact of his relationship in trying to help Nathaniel Ayers, a homeless and troubled yet brilliant musician. And says:

"I can tell you that by witnessing Mr. Ayers's courage, his humility, his faith in the power of his art, I've learned the dignity of being loyal to something you believe in. Of holding onto it above all else. Of believing, without question, that it will carry you home."

His faith in the power of his art.It moved me. The dignity of being loyal to something you believe in. My mind enraptures in the beauty of these statements.

I know that I have experienced, on multiple occasions, that power, that divinity, that truth, that honesty of art, in all its fragility and strength. There is a sanctity to that moment when you witness, when you realize, when you connect to the expression of art. It goes beyond. A sweeping breeze of chills spreads, and I always need to pause. To breathe it in and give it the silence it requires for its resonance to finish its final echo.

2 comments:

nycrun said...

well writtena nd interesting as always
http://nycrunfashion.blogspot.com

Vincent said...

It's a nice surprise to find your piece referring to The Soloist, and that it inspired you to reflect on art in general.

It had an inspirational effect on me too, as in this piece