Thursday, December 07, 2006

How Paris Broke my Umbrella

After an interminably long train ride that made a pitstop for coffee with Marina in Milano, I have arrived in a very chilly but always elegant and fashionable Paris. This morning started well with a light and deliciously flaky pastry and a visit to the Rodin museum. I love sculptures, so I loved this museum, full of very passionately sculpted works that stimulate the emotions and the eyes. Then the rain hit, and the wind. I spent a windy walk trying to get to the Orangerie in the Jardin des Tuileries and with the wind hitting off the Seine my flimsy little umbrella snapped one of its ;etal spine-like supports and slipped off the holders at the ends. It was a wet and cold wait for the Orangerie but once inside, the soft lighting and oval display rooms for Monets water lilies made me forget everything. A true artistic experience.
So of course the rain stops after my visit and I go to check out Rue des Rosiers in the Marais where I hear the best falafel ever resides, and I had a hankering for some falafel. Not only did I find falafel, but along the way I overheard a beautiful string orchestra playing in the metro, the type of music that makes your heart stop and your eyes water. The best falafel of my life was followed by a walk back through the Place des Vosges to the metro and, more metro music and mistakenly identified as a parisian, here I am, navigating through the french keyboard.
I feel the blood in my cheeks and the smile on my face, loving this city of long ago elegance and prim chic style. So now to rest my weary wind-beaten body for a little bit chez Brandon, my close friend and very kind host for my few days here. All this before going in the search of an affordable dinner and an evening visit to the once rail station Musee d'Orsay. Magic.

No comments: